Dental implants have revolutionized treatment for missing teeth. Whereas there are multiple treatment options that replace the crown of a missing tooth, dental implants are the only technique to provide a substitute for missing tooth roots. Dental implants are surgically placed within the patient’s jawbone where they will fuse with the patient’s gum and bone tissues to provide the needed stimulation to prevent bone degeneration. Additionally, this fusion provides the most stable and durable foundation for a full range of dental restorations, including dental crowns, dental bridges, and dentures.
When dental implant treatment is a success, there is no other treatment option that even comes close to matching its durability, stability, comfort, and convenience. So, what can a patient do to ensure the success of dental implant treatment? Experienced dental implant surgeon Kalil Abide is happy to discuss dental implant and osseointegration success tips with his Jackson, MS patients to help them get the most effective results out of their dental implant treatment.
What Is Osseointegration?
Osseointegration is a term that is used when discussing dental implant treatment, but for most patients, it is an unfamiliar word. Osseointegration is the medical term that is used to describe the fusing process that takes place while a patient heals from dental implant treatment.
When osseointegration occurs, the dental implant will essentially become a part of the gums and jawbone. The tissues of the jaw will grow around the implant and provide it with added strength and stability. Osseointegration is a process that is necessary for the success of dental implant treatment. Without osseointegration, dental implants will never be secure enough to anchor dental restorations.
Osseointegration Success Tips
Osseointegration is a natural process that should occur on its own, as long as the patient has good oral health. However, there are conditions and habits that can interfere with the osseointegration process, so it is important to follow all post-surgical care instructions. The following tips can help patients ensure that osseointegration takes place, and that dental implant treatment is ultimately a success:
- Choose an experienced and knowledgeable dental implant surgeon, such as Dr. Abide, to avoid complications related to the placement of the implants
- Use all prescribed antibiotics as directed
- Consider the use of an antibacterial mouthwash to further cut down on bacteria in the mouth
- Avoid the use of alcohol and cigarettes for at least two weeks prior to dental implant treatment and for the duration of the recovery process
- Continue to brush and floss regularly to avoid decay and infection (it should be noted that the direct implant site should be avoided for the first few days after surgery)
- Maintain a schedule of biannual dental exams and cleanings
- Keep any scheduled follow-up appointments in the weeks and months after dental implant placement
- Report any unusual side effects to Dr. Abide as soon as possible
If you would like to learn more about the dental implant process and how it can benefit the health, strength, and beauty of your smile, contact us at your earliest convenience.